Who can apply for properties through Blaenau Gwent Homes?

You must have been accepted onto Blaenau Gwent’s Housing Register to be able to apply for either rented or low cost home ownership properties through Blaenau Gwent Homes. Anyone aged 16 years or over may apply to join the Housing Register.

How do I apply to join the Housing Register?

You will need to complete an application form.

What other documents do I need to provide?

Supporting Documents

Please ensure you submit all relevant supporting documents with your housing application form. If you do not we will be unable to process your application.  (All incomplete applications will be cancelled after a period of 28 days of inactivity from the applicant from the date information has been requested and not been provided. This cancellation does not prevent the applicant making a subsequent application at a later date, although all applicants should note that in such cases the effective date of registration would not be backdated to the earlier application date).

To tackle and prevent fraud, we need to establish the identity of who is applying to us for housing.

To ensure we administer your application as quickly as possible please provide copies of at least one document from the list below.

Please select all of the documents you have submitted;-

  • Proof of child benefit (A child benefit Letter or bank statement proving Child Benefit payments, name and address)
  • Proof of pregnancy
  • Proof of home owner status
  • Proof of criminal convictions
  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)

Please note:-

  • You can use the upload document section of your housing application
  • Photocopies of documents will be sufficient as we will not return them.
  • For quality assurance we may occasionally request that original documents are provided. These will be returned

What happens if I do not provide the required documents?

  • Providing you have properly completed your application form it will be processed but placed in the lowest band, until the documents are received, when it will be moved into the appropriate band from the date they are received. The date it is later accepted from will be the date the fully completed form is received.

How do I know if I have been accepted onto the Housing Register?

  • We will contact you confirming that you have been accepted onto the Housing Register via letter and/or email. This will tell you the band you have been placed, the date your application has been registered from and the size of property you are eligible for.

Can you refuse to accept me onto the Housing Register?

There are some people who are not eligible to be included on the Housing Register. These are: 

  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act.
  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland.
  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant.

For more detailed information contact our Housing Advice Centre. 

What are priority Bands?

  • Your application will be assessed according to your level of housing need and placed into a band, within each band applications are placed in date order.

How long will I stay in the same band?

  • You may normally only remain in Emergency Band for a 3 month period at which point your application will be reassessed. You will normally remain in Gold, Silver and Bronze Band for a 12 month period unless your circumstances change within this period.

What do I do if my circumstances change?

  • It is very important that you tell us of any changes in your circumstances so that we can amend your application. We will tell you if this results in your application moving to a different band. If you move up a band the date used will be the date you move into that band. If you move down a band the date used will be the date that applied when you were previously in that band or any earlier date when you were in a higher band.

Do I need to renew my application each year?

  • Yes, once a year, normally on the anniversary of your application you will be sent a declaration form, which you must complete and return within 28 days. If you fail to renew your application we will write and tell you that your application has been cancelled.

What if someone in my household has a medical condition?

  • If someone in your household has a medical condition you will be asked to provide details, which may then be considered by the Housing Solutions, Housing and Well Being Officer, who will put forward a recommendation. You can continue to choose which properties to express an interest in but must be mindful of your condition and only express interest in suitable properties such as ground floor flat or bungalow if you cannot climb stairs.

If I am offered a property, will I be able to view it before making up my mind?

  • Yes. You will be given an opportunity to view the property and decide whether you would like to accept it.

What if I don’t like the property when I have seen it?

  • If you refuse 3 reasonable offers, you will be moved to Bronze Band for a period of 12 months.

Are carpets and appliances provided?

  • You will normally have to provide your own carpets and appliances.

What other options are there for housing?

  • Most applicants on the Housing Register will have to wait a long time for re-housing and many of those in the lower bands will still have little chance of re-housing in the local area. Depending on your circumstances you may wish to consider other options such as renting in the private sector. We may be able to help you with a deposit for private rented if you meet certain criteria. Interviews to discuss your housing options are available by appointment from the Housing Advice Centre.

What if I become homeless?

  • Households who are homeless or threatened with homelessness will be dealt with outside the scheme. You should contact the Housing Advice Centre to arrange an interview to discuss your circumstances. We will work with you to try to prevent you becoming homeless and will discuss your housing options with you. If this is unsuccessful you may be offered temporary housing. You may still express an interest in properties through Blaenau Gwent Homes, providing your application has been accepted on the Housing Register, but in most cases it is unlikely that this will be in time to resolve your homelessness, as most applicants will have to wait a long time before being successful.

How do I request a review of a decision?

If you disagree with any of the following decisions you can request a review: 

  • You are not eligible to join the housing register
  • Your application has been cancelled other than at your own request
  • You think that you have been placed in the wrong band or given the wrong priority date

To request a review you must contact the Housing Advice Centre within 21 days of the date you are notified of the decision and the reason for it. You may provide additional information in writing that you wish to be taken into account when the review is carried out. You will normally be advised of the outcome of the review within 8 weeks. You may not request a further review.