Who can use the service?

Anyone who would like to apply for Housing in Blaenau Gwent is able to use the service. To apply to join the Housing Register you must be over 16 years of age.
You will need to complete an application form online, which can be obtained from this website. The application form enables you to apply for a Housing Association property.

Along with your application form you will be asked to provide the following documents (within a period of 28 days):

  • Proof of child benefit (A child benefit Letter or bank statement proving Child Benefit payments, name and address)
  • Proof of pregnancy
  • Proof of home owner status
  • Proof of criminal convictions
  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)

All incomplete applications will be cancelled after a period of 28 days of inactivity from the applicant from the date information has been requested and not provided.

Before you are offered a property you may be asked to provide further documents to support your application. We will tell you what documents to provide and when to provide them.

All documents provided must be originals, up to date and valid. For a full list of acceptable documents contact the Housing Advice Centre.

If you do not provide us with the documents required your application may be accepted onto the housing register but will not be awarded any priority. Once the documents are received your application will be assessed and placed in the appropriate band from the date the documents were received. View Policies for more details on our banding scheme.


Who cannot use the service?

Some people are not eligible to register to apply for social housing. Applicants need to be British Citizens or have been granted leave to remain. This means a person who has the right to stay in the UK for an unlimited amount of time. 

People who do not have recourse to public funds, or have a short-term immigration status won’t be eligible even if they would normally qualify because they are homelessness, have a disability or are overcrowded.

For more detailed information contact our Housing Advice Centre.